| Cornell Hotel. We like it! |
| Dylan outside the Academy of Sciences, in front of the de Young. |
Today is our last day here though so we left our wee hotel for the California Academy of Sciences and Haight Street. Again it was a study in contrasts. Teeming masses in the Academy for the various AMAZING exhibitions, and many people not so far away in the surrounding park rugged up with their friends and dogs, homeless.
It's legendary area, of course, and it still capitalises on its 1960s fame. It looks and feels like it is gentrifying, but it is a slow process and one that polarises (at least at face value). Numerous buildings are for lease and there goodbye signs from businesses that had been there for 26 years. Other shops are more upmarket, yet there is still a funky vibe.
Dylan again spotted numerous flash cars - evidence, I believe'that we all see what we are looking for! And which makes me wonder why I saw such a social divide...I don't recall seeing it so obviously last time I was here in 2007. Maybe, as in the Great Depression, the Haight has suffered more than other areas in this current recession? Or is attracting those who are? I wonder what the locals see? Maybe someone reading this has some thoughts??
Anyway, we wandered in and out of shops as entire bands busked in doorways.
And we were once again served very warmly by all, including somewhat dubious street vendors all pleading for some help as they offered very cheap goods for sale. I bought a scarf and Dylan gobbled up most of his spending money on a skateboard (not quite the 1970s Ford Mustang he drooled over, but close!)
The last words for today speak of the heart of the Haigt, albeit behind a locked gate and in front of a bookstore.
No comments:
Post a Comment
so, what do you think??