Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2012

On yer bike people. And well done North America!


If you read an earlier blog you will know I was less than confident about driving in Toronto. and in the end, well, I didn't! And I am glad :-)

We travelled by public transport into and around the downtown areas, as well as out to Hamilton, Niagara and Mississauga. For countries known for sprawl and congestion the public transport was great by Auckland standards. It has been stunningly frequent and affordable, and mostly with really pleasnat ticket sellers and drivers too.



Locals combine transport more too. When the buses arrive, drivers (usually) happily load bikes on the front and cyclists are serviced with more greenways and cycle lanes than I see at home too. There are plenty of bike racks too - outside malls, art galleries, cafes, subways and well just about everywhere. Very few of them are empty during the day.








Riders perch on their bikes to have conversations, in the middle of the road. They balance them precariously against the kerb and wander off to buy groceries. They stroll with them, again in the middle of the road... Bikes of all vintages and styles abound and there is very little lycra going on!





So cycling is very much a part of a lifestyle here in Toronto, and certainly in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver too. Much more so than I see in Auckland. Although maybe I am not looking in the right places? A key part of cycling here though is that it is supported by systems that work to enable cyclists safe and secure journeys (road rules that favour pedestrians and cyclists over cars; buses with bike racks; places to park).  While most people can ride a bike, such systems are essential for individual choices to be scaled up to become community choices. Systems are by their nature designed to make some things easier, and making cycling easier makes a lot of sense individually and collectively. Economically, environmentally, socially and culturally it makes a lot of sense. Surely it makes political sense too? 


Denise

1 comment:

so, what do you think??